Summer is short but sweet! Especially here in WI, where we are recovering from 5 months of winter and a delayed spring. I’m beyond ready and excited for summer!
Let’s Jump Into Summer with 77 fun things to do!
Take advantage of the wonderful Lake Country area and resources and have a fun filled adventure while the kids are out of school! Lake Country Family Fun has put together a great summer bucket list of ideas of things to do in and outside of the Waukesha County area with your kids this summer. After all great parenting isn’t about spoiling the children with things, it is spoiling them with memories!
And while having all the fun, please remember to be safe, especially around water with little ones. Stephanie has written some Lake Safety Tips for families and you can find the helpful information here, at Lake Effect Co.
When enjoying these fun activities and events this summer with your family, share on Instagram (IG) with #lovelcff. We love to see our readers out having fun!
Find us on IG HERE.
Thank you to our 77 Things to Do this Summer Sponsor:
Positively Pewaukee Presenting:
- Visit Madison and check out a Mallards Game! On June 16, 2019 they are hosting a Food Allergy Friendly Baseball game.
- Find local food allergy friendly eating tips here.
- Travel around the country and attend a Food Allergy Friendly Baseball Game. Plan your trip here.
- Enroll your child in a local summer camp!
- Go pick some strawberries! ***Due to the weather, the 2019 season may be a bit delayed, but come June, we are ready to go picking!
- Enjoy Waukesha County’s beautiful lakes. You can find us on a lake at least once a week in the summer, pending weather. Share your fun on Instagram, so we can follow your lake fun though our Lakes of Lake Country Guide!
- Climb the tower at Lapham State Park. (Admission to the park is required or purchase a state park pass and use it all summer.)
- Head to Ottawa Lake at the Kettle Moraine State Park Southern Unit. There is a beach there and plenty of picnic tables, so pack a lunch! Admission fees do apply.
Fun Fact – last time I was there, there was a (nonpoisonous) snake skimming across the top of the water! You bet I ran out of there like a scene out of JAWS 😉
- Watch a drive in movie at the HWY 18 Theater.
- Enter your kids in a triathlon in Mukwonago through their YMCA. Be sure to register by May 31 for the June 22 event.
- Learn something new at Discovery World. – The touch tank in the Reiman Aquarium is so fun!
- Watch a polo match! The Milwaukee Polo Club holds matches in Hartland! They start June 23, 2019.
- Check out the Concord Zoo. There’s no admission fee, as it is located behind the Concord General Store gas station at the HwyF/I-94 exit in Jefferson County. However, to support the zoo, we always go inside buy carrots/food for the animals and then head to the zoo to feed them.
- Head to Summerfest – the biggest music festival! Children’s Fest Day is July 2, 2019.
- Bring your family to Hartland’s Neighborhood Night Out.
- Visit the Milwaukee County Zoo. See the new Adventure Africa exhibit, which features a sand floor to allow a soft, natural substrate for the animals.
- Catch some tunes at Waterfront Wednesdays at Pewaukee Lake at Lakefront Park.
- Visit the Hartland Splash Pad. A must on 90 degree days!
- Visit any of the 16 best ice cream spots in and around Waukesha County to get some custard under their neon lights.
- Swim at City Beach or Bender Beach in Downtown Oconomowoc or venture to these other great beaches in Waukesha County.
- Take the kids to the Waukesha Airport for Food Truck Fridays! Check out how awesome this is that you can eat on the runway/next to the Terminal Building and watch the planes come and go! May 24 – August 30, 2019.
- Cool off and take the kids ice skating at the Mullett Ice Center or Naga-Waukee Ice Arena or Eble Ice Arena.
- Take your family to Milwaukee Irish Fest!
- Party in the Park with Summerstage Delafield!
- Visit Cushing Park in Delafield and walk the trails.
- Check out Mukwonago’s Maxwell Street Days.
- Take dad to the Mukwonago Father’s Day Parade on June 16.
- Visit the Memorial Union Terrace at the University of Madison.
- Do you need a list of great lake side dining, burger spots or hiking spots? Grab a sitter and check out our Summer Date Guide.
- Go to the State Fair and eat all the food you shouldn’t and people watch. August 1 -11, 2019.
- Go to the Pewaukee Beach Party on June 21 and 22, 2019.
- Visit the Waukesha County Park system and go for a hike or a swim. Admission fees apply or purchase a park pass to save money and go often.
- Enjoy all that Festival Week in Oconomowoc has to offer in August.
- Check out the new Balloon festival, as the Waterford Balloon festival is not happening this year. Mark your calendar for July 19-21, 2019: Balloons over Mukwonago.
- Visit the Dinosaur Discovery Museum in Kenosha.
- Change up the pace and head down to the Racine Zoo.
- Go to Dousman Derby Days and learn the fine art of frog jumping at the WI State Frog Jumping Competition.
- Check out the Madison Children’s Museum.
- Watch a movie under the stars at such as Moonlit Movies in Oconomowoc or the new Springs Water Park Movies in the Park. Find all the outdoor movies HERE.
- Visit a farmers market.
- Eat Pancakes in the Park for free in Dousman on the second Sunday of the month in June, July, and August!
- Go to a Brewer’s Game. *Tip – take your family on Sunday for kids day!
- Fly a kite at the Milwaukee Lakefront at Veterans Park.
- Take your family and fur family to the HAWS Pet Fair in Menomonee Falls in August.
- Visit the Vilas Zoo in Madison. It’s FREE!!
- Bowl for FREEall summer long!
- Watch a ski show.
- Find the Best Local Parks picked by Lake Country Family Fun followers.
- Enjoy a beer garden with friends, a date night, or with your family!
- Visit the Milwaukee Public Museum.
- Enjoy the 7th Annual Delafield Block Party on July 12th & 13th. We go every year and have so much fun!
- Join Race for a Reason at The Corners of Brookfield on June 29 and support a cause near and dear to your heart!
- Cool of at the New Berlin Historical Society during their ice cream social in July.
- Visit the Dousman Stage Coach Inn in Elm Grove.
- Too hot outside? Check out the Kids Dream Summer Film Series for only $3!
- Find a pool to cool off!
- Get your art on at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
- Take a mini-vacation to Chicago with the kids and contact Lovejoy Travel Agency to book your stress-free stay.
- Visit the Mitchell Park Domes to watch the koi fish.
- Step back in time and visit Old World Wisconsin. They have so many amazing programs going on throughout the summer for the whole family.
- Enjoy the sights and sounds (and food of course) at the Waukesha County Fair. Plus, enter our giveaway when it goes live!
- Explore Bookworm Gardens in Sheboygan.
- Check out an Indoor Play attraction on a rainy or steamy day.
- Go to Jammin on Janesville in June and support local!
- Take the kids to see Mary Poppins Jr. at Lake Country Playhouse running from July 25 through August 11, 2019.
- Spend your day at Hartland Kids Day! This year it is Wednesday, July 31 at Nixon Park!
- Have the kids join the Summer Reading program at their local library.
- Don’t miss any of the Best August Festivals.
- Celebrate the 4th of July with some fireworks. PS. Find more fun in our 4th of July Guide.
- Celebrate our waterways at the 5th annual Watershed Paddle in Oconomowoc in July.
- Have a ball at Sussex Lion Days in July.
- Hop onto the East Troy Electric Railroad.
- Practice swim safety at Goldfish Swim School in Brookfield or have your child’s birthday party there.
- Ride a ride at Little Amerricka.
- Find a treasure at the Dousman Community Rummage Sale in August or any other rummage sales throughout the summer.
- Be amazed at the Water and Air Show in Milwaukee.
- Go frolfing at Harnischfeger Park, Wales Community Park, Dretzka Park or the New Berlin Disc Golf Course.
- Head to Okauchee Lions Days Fest and Festival event in June and check out the new playground!
Don’t forget to share your summer fun with Lake Country Family Fun on Instagram (IG) with #lovelcff.
Find us on IG here.
PIN THIS POST
Happy Summer Memory Making!
Find everything you need to know about our lakes: dining on lakes, where to kayak or paddleboard, events on lakes, where to watch fireworks over lakes, etc...sponsored by Lake Effect Co.