This year, more than ever, families are asking:
What can we do outside or in the outdoors?
After a cold winter in Wisconsin, people are itching to get outside and do fun outdoor things. Being outdoors is a great things for parent and kids alike and we are here to help you to find more fun ideas on how to get outdoors. One thing we can count on is that:
NATURE IS ALWAYS OPEN
We hope that this guide inspires you to get outside this summer and enjoy nature, outdoors, family and this beautiful area we live in. Personally, we are going to try out more Kayak locations, local playgrounds and some of the County parks that we’ve never been to.
Please thank the two sponsored Series that make this outdoor guide possible!
Come along with us in summer of 2021 as we tour and report back on two awesome series:
- Parks & Playground
- Local Hiking Spots
We've put together the ultimate guide to an outdoor Summer with 10 ideas for outside fun for 2021!
Waukesha County is blessed with 12 beaches. One of them is even free! Find them all here and get beach-bumming this summer with the family.
Beaches not your thing? Check out the Pool Guide here.
Even if you don’t own a boat (or have friends who do), there are still many ways to enjoy the Lakes of Lake Country. From fishing to kayaking to renting a boat/kayak/SUP and more – there are tons of ways to have fun on a lake this fall.
A family favorite event is walking along Pewaukee Beach or around Fowler Lake. Just seeing the water is a great way to spend the day.
- Do you own a Kayak but struggle where to put in and enjoy?
- Are you looking for a place to rent Kayaks in the area?
Lake Country Family Fun has you covered with the Kayak Guide to Waukesha County and Lake Country.
Hiking is an all-time favorite activity for our family. There are many places for a great hike around here and if you know of one not on the list, shoot us a message. There are paved and non-paved hiking trails. Some local favorite walks/trails include:
- Fowler Lake Loop – Two mile trail around the lake and you’ll be sure to see lots of nature in Oconomowoc
- The Lake Country Recreational Trail – is a great trail for those with strollers.
- Nature Hill Trail in Oconomowoc – is a great trail with and even has some incline in this normally flat area
- Paradise Springs Nature Trail in Eagle – This trail is disability-friendly and has an awesome self-guided tour map you can use here
- Ice Age Trail – Has various segments that are great for hikes with the family including sections including:
- Elm Grove Village Park – has scenice hiking trails around some fishing lakes and a playground along the way
- Emma Carlin Trail – This State Park trial is located in Palmyra and great for wanting to avoid crowds with 3 loop options
- State Parks in Waukesha County with trails:
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Lapham Peak Unit
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Mukwonago River Unit
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Southern Unit (Eagle)
- Ottowa Lake State Park Trails
There is nothing we love more than Family Bike Rides! The neighborhood may be a great spot to bike, but if you are looking for more options, we’ve got you covered.
Local parks are open back up for kids to play on. Are we missing your favorite playground? Tell us and we’ll add it to the guide! Also, get excited and follow along on the Best Local Parks Guide in Summer of 2021 as it undergoes a MASSIVE overhaul and update 🙂
Our County Park system is amazing; can I just say that!? There is so much outdoor fun to be had at County parks including:
- Golf & Disc Golf
- Picnic Areas
Golf is a great outdoor activity to play outide. Golf can be fun for the WHOLE family because there are golf courses, mini-golf courses, disc golf courses, and driving ranges in our county!
- Camping is open for Waukesha County Park campgrounds NOW! View details in the camp section of this County Park guide.
- For State Park camping locations, all campgrounds, day use facilities (shelters and amphitheaters) and marina boat slips are open.
- You can always pop up a tent in your living room or backyard for a fun at-home camping experience.
Check out our *NEW* GUIDE TO CAMPING IN AND AROUND WAUKESHA COUNTY BY FAMILYFUNJOY! ARTICLE SERIES:
You can find tons of outdoor fun when you look for it. In fact, each month has unique farm fun around here! Strawberry picking is a popular outdoor activity in June (and it is quite delicious) In July, you can pick Raspberries and late summer like August and September Sunflower Farms are popular to visit.
Click here for Sunflower Patches or click the image below.