We know that our Lake Country kiddos love TRAINS. That’s why we’ve put together the ultimate Train Guide for Train-loving Kids.
This guide is categorized by:
TRAIN GUIDE SPONSOR
Operating on the last 7.5 mile stretch of the original interurban system in the state of Wisconsin, you can experience fun for all ages with Dinner, Pizza, Burger, Oktoberfest, Birthday, Christmas, Bunny and whatever other train you can think of!
The depot is open, the historic cars are cleaned and polished, the long winter has come to an end, and the East Troy Electric Railroad is ready to kick off its 2019 season on Saturday, April 27th. Trains will depart on the hour from the East Troy Depot starting at 10:00 am. The last train departs at 3:00 pm. Trains run every Saturday and Sunday through the first weekend in November. They will run three times a day on Fridays starting May 31st.
Seasonal/Special Train Events
- DELAFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY MODEL TRAIN AND RAILROAD EXHIBIT (January 25, 2020)
- DELAVAN TRAIN SHOW: Saturday, March 21st: 9 am – 4 pm and Sunday, March 22nd: 10 am – 4 pm – Free Admission!
- BUNNY TRAIN – EAST TROY ELECTRIC RAILROAD: April 4,5, 11, 2020
- TRAINS, TRACKS, AND SWITCHES AT SHOREHAVEN Dates TBD for 2020
- Milwaukee Zoo Train Open (May – September approximately)
- Opening weekend at the MILWAUKEE LIGHT ENGINEERING SOCIETY (Cedarburg)
- Day out with Thomas – Green Bay (National RR Museum) TBD 2020
- Pumpkin Train at Little Amerricka
- LIONEL RAILROAD CLUB of Milwaukee- Semi annual open house is November 24 & 25
- Annual Model Railroad Open House Nov EVENT at the Oconomowoc Historical Society hosted by Milwaukee North Western Railroad
- Free admission to the Oconomowoc Historical Society while trains are running
- TRAINFEST® , America’s Largest Operating Model Railroad Show with five football fields of running trains and family activities, at State Fair Park is November 14-15, 2020
- Autumn and Pumpkin Train Ride weekends at the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom during October
The Great Pumpkin Train at the National Railroad museum in Green Bay
- The magical ride will take you a half hour from East Troy Depot (2002 Church Street, East Troy, WI) to Santa’s workshop located at the Elegant Farmer. Here children can visit Santa and get a photo taken with the jolly elf himself! Santa’s workshop wouldn’t be complete without a craft project and some hot chocolate and cookies to enjoy after working on those crafts! Sold out in 2019. Look for tickets in Summer 2020 for next season.
- HOLIDAY TRAIN Comes through Wisconsin (Oconomowoc & Hartland nearest locations)
- Polar Express Ride out of Green Bay WEBSITE (sold out in 2019!)
- SANTA TRAIN at the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom runs November 2019
- TRAIN DISPLAY at Country Springs Hotel [FREE]
- Christmas Village, one of two buildings located at the end of the trail, is home to an amazing model train display. Featuring six model trains running throughout four different levels of animated scenes, this display is sure to be a hit with people of all ages. Also located in Christmas Village are additional holiday displays, including an area to take photos, and a concession area where guests can purchase refreshments.
- TRAIN DISPLAY at Country Springs Hotel [FREE]
- ZEIMER’S MODEL TRAIN OPEN HOUSE 2019 dates TBD
- Train Display at Shady Lane Greenhouse in Menomonee Falls. The KFH Legacy train will run on Saturdays!
Kids Run Trains at the Layouts at Trainfest®[/caption]
GO FOR A [TRAIN] RIDE - TRAIN TRIP IDEAS
- Wisconsin Dells Train WEBSITE (1.5 hours)
- Safari Zoo Train at the Milwaukee Zoo WEBSITE
- Bay Beach TRAIN in Green Bay (2 hours)
- EAST TROY RAILROAD MUSEUM in East Troy
- Little Amerricka TRAIN – Marshall (40 minutes)
- National Railroad Museum TRAIN RIDE – Green Bay (2 hours)
- Mid-Continent Railway Museum RIDES – North Freedom (1.5 hours)
- Take a Ride on the AMTRAK TRAIN
- Milwaukee Light Engineering Society TRAIN RIDES in Cedarburg (45 minutes)
KNOW OF ANY OTHER PLACES TO RIDE A TRAIN IN WISCONSIN? TELL US IN THE COMMENTS AND WE WILL ADD TO THE GUIDE FOR ALL TO ENJOY!
East Troy Railroad Museum
- Choo Choo Charlie’s in Kenosha – Kid-centric train restaurant constantly has train-themed movies playing, has four different trains running
- PC Junction in Bailey’s Harbor – This is the ultimate train-themed restaurant. Every detail here has been thought of, from outside decor and play areas to the interior where your food is delivered via model train.
- Buffalo Phil’s in Wisconsin Dells – Your food is delivered on a TRAIN!
- La Estacion Mexican Restaurant in Waukesha – It literally has seating in an old box car and is by the tracks
- Maxim’s at The Oconomowoc Depot – Boxcar dining right by a real railroad. Model railroad runs in the restaurant.
- Titletown Brewery & Restaurants in Green Bay – When trains go by, they ring the bell!
- The Crossing Restaurant in Pewaukee – located near a train track
- SteamYard Coffee Shop in Hartland -Mildy train themed and not too far from train tracks!
DO YOU KNOW OF ANY SPECIAL TRAIN-THEMED DINING? TELL US IN THE COMMENTS AND WE WILL ADD TO THE GUIDE FOR ALL TO ENJOY!
Parks/farms/places with trains
- Imagination Station – There is a play train in the little kid area
- Madeline Park in Sussex – Train-themed park (new!) in Sussex. N6523284 Elm Drive , Sussex. Madeline Park is a 7 acre open space park located on the northeast edge of the Stonefield subdivision on Waukesha Avenue, south of the Union Pacific Railroad line.
- Cushing Park – There is a wooden train with steering wheel
- Green Meadows – They have a brand new wooden train and train room! The train room has ride on trains, over 5 train tables, train toys of all kinds and more!
- Shady Lane Green House Menomonee Falls – The KFH Legacy Model Train resides in a separate greenhouse (the House of Blooms) and measures 4,800 square feet. train runs every Saturday and Sunday 10:00am till 3:00. It is always best to call before coming.
- Wales “Train” Park –Right off of the Glacier Drumlin trail in Wales is a wooden play train. Grab a coffee at MAMA D’S and enjoy it while your kiddos play on the train. The train was just updated by Wales Family Dental!
- Oconomowoc Historical Society – The museum in Oconomowoc has a model train display also. On the night of trick or treat, the museum is open with free admission and lots of treats! Trains are running that night as well.
KNOW OF OTHER FUN PLACES WITH TRAINS? COMMENT BELOW AND WE WILL ADD TO THE LIST!
View this post on Instagram
Anyone else know a child who would LOVE a train themed playground!? Madeline Park in Sussex is not only train themed but next to an old railroad depot! 🚂 This park is brand new so there are still some things in the works...like bathrooms and parking lot but the actual playground equipment is ready to use. Have you heard of a Biba playground before? There is technology at this park that connects to an app which has games to go with the playground. 🚂 Want to know more about best local parks in Lake Country? Check out our guide! Link in bio! #lovelcff
- MID-CONTINENT RAILWAY MUSEUM, North Freedom, WI
- ILLINOIS RAILWAY MUSEUM – Union, IL
- EAST TROY RAILROAD MUSEUM – East Troy & Mukwonago, WI
- NATIONAL RAILOAD MUSEUM – Green Bay, WI
Lionel Railroad Club of Milwaukee
2721 South Calhoun Road
New Berlin, WI 53151
(entrance in back of building)
“One of the Oldest Railroad Clubs in
Milwaukee Light Engineering Society
We are a live steam club that has almost a mile of 7.5″ track on 6.5 acres.
KNOW OF OTHER LOCAL RAILROAD CLUBS? COMMENT BELOW AND WE WILL ADD TO THE LIST!
Train Hobby Shops
HIAWATHA HOBBIES Silvernail Shopping Center, 2026 Silvernail Rd. Pewaukee, WI 53072 262-544-4131
SOMMERFELD’S TRAINS & HOBBIES 12620 W. Hampton Ave. Butler, WI 53007 262-783-7797
SOUTH SIDE TRAINS 3979 S. Howell Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53207 414-482-1566
WALTHERS SHOWROOM 5619 West Florist Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53218 414-461-1050
MADISON HOBBY STOP 6622 Mineral Point Road Madison, WI 53705 Phone 608-829-3820
WANT YOUR LOCAL RAILROAD SHOP ADDED TO THE LIST? COMMENT BELOW AND WE WILL ADD IT!
Hidden Gem Spots
- Nixon Park – Trains go through the area and you can see/hear them from the park
- Bridge in Butler, WI overlooking the train depot
- Dickten Park in Nashotah. Trains can be seen going by on the tracks, which are across the street (a safe distance) from the park. Also, there’s a fire station next door.
- Frame Park Waukesha – you are bound to see/hear a train here if you play
- Kiwanis Village Park in Pewaukee- three trains went by in ten minutes when we were there the other day (you can also catch trains from Pewaukee Beach)
WHERE ELSE DO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES VIEW REAL, LIVE TRAINS? COMMENT BELOW AND WE WILL ADD TO THE LIST!
PIN THIS POST
TELL US YOUR FAVORITE TRAIN ACTIVITIES!
Do you have a train ride, a train dining spot, a train trip, a train viewing area or park with a train that is not on this list? I bet you do! Well…share the train tips with your fellow Lake Country Families. Email them to us at Erin@lakecountryfamilyfun(dot)com or use the contact form button. We will add them to the list.