We know that our Lake Country kiddos love TRAINS. That’s why we’ve put together the ultimate Train Guide for Train-loving Kids.
This guide is categorized by:
- Seasonal Train Events
- Train Trip Ideas
- Train Dining
- Parks/Farms/Places with play trains
- Railroad Museums
- Railroad Clubs
- Train Hobby Shops
- Hidden Gem Spots
Seasonal/Special Train Events
- Bunny Train – East Troy Electric Railroad
- Trains, Tracks, and Switches at Shorehaven on April 4-6, 2018
- Lionel Railroad Club of Milwaukee- Semi annual open house on April 7 & 8, 2018
- Titletown Train Show 2018 – April 28-29 in Green Bay, WI
- Milwaukee Zoo Train Open (mid-March to mid-October approximately)
- Day out with Thomas – Green Bay (National RR Museum)
- Bay Beach Train – Green Bay (May through September)
- Pumpkin Train at Little Amerricka
- Lionel Railroad Club of Milwaukee- Semi annual open house is November 24 & 25
- Free admission to the Oconomowoc Historical Society while trains are running
- TRAINFEST® at State Fair Park is November 10-11, 2018
- Milwaukee Light Society Pumpkin Run Train in Cedarburg [Free]
- Autumn and Pumpkin Train Ride weekends at the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom during October
- Holiday Train Comes through Wisconsin (Oconomowoc & Hartland nearest locations)
- Polar Express Ride out of Green Bay website
- Santa Train at the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom runs November 2018
- Train Display at Country Springs Hotel [FREE] (photo to the right)
- Christmas Village, one of two buildings located at the end of the trail, is home to an amazing model train display. Featuring six model trains running throughout four different levels of animated scenes, this display is sure to be a hit with people of all ages. Also located in Christmas Village are additional holiday displays, including an area to take photos, and a concession area where guests can purchase refreshments.
- Zeimer’s Model Train Open House December 2018
- Easy Troy Railroad Santa Train Rides website
- The magical ride will take you a half hour from East Troy Depot (2002 Church Street, East Troy, WI) to Santa’s workshop located at the Elegant Farmer. Here children can visit Santa and get a photo taken with the jolly elf himself! Santa’s workshop wouldn’t be complete without a craft project and some hot chocolate and cookies to enjoy after working on those crafts! 2017 SOLD OUT
- Annual Train Exhibit at the Milwaukee Domes dates are January 20 – March 18, 2018. This year the event is called Railway to Wonderland. *Sponsored
- Collectible All Scale Train Exhibit weekend at the Milwaukee Domes February 10 & 11, 2018
- Delafield Public Library Model Train and Railroad Exhibit (January 27, 2018)
- Brio Train Fest at Silly Willyz (January 27, 2018)
- Mad City 51st Annual Model Railroad Show & Sale (Feb 17-18, 2018)
- Snow Train at the Mid-Continent Railway in North Freedom runs February 10 -11
- Let’s Play Railway! at the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum opens January 15, 2018.
Little engineers will enjoy a pretend ride on the rails as they step into the kid-sized train exhibit, featuring an interactive engine, cattle wagon and caboose.
Go for a [Train] Ride – Train TRIP Ideas
- Wisconsin Dells Train website (1.5 hours)
- Safari Zoo Train at the Milwaukee Zoo website
- Bay Beach Train in Green Bay (2 hours)
- East Troy Railroad Museum in East Troy
- Little Amerricka Train – Marshall (40 minutes)
- National Railroad Museum Train Ride – Green Bay (2 hours)
- Mid-Continent Railway Museum Rides – North Freedom (1.5 hours)
- Take a Ride on the Amtrak Train
- Milwaukee Light Engineering Society Train Rides in Cedarburg (45 minutes)
- Jelly-Belly Factory Train Tour in Pleasant Prairie (1 hour)
- Take the whole family on a trip back in time with a ride on the vintage LumberJack Steam Train in Laona (3.5 hours)
Know of any other places to ride a train in Wisconsin? Tell us in the comments and we will add to the guide for all to enjoy!
- Buffalo Phil’s in Wisconsin Dells – Your food is delivered on a TRAIN!
- La Estacion Mexican Restaurant in Waukesha – It literally has seating in an old box car!
- Maxim’s at The Oconomowoc Depot – Boxcar dining right by a real railroad.
- Titletown Brewery & Restaurants in Green Bay – When trains go by, they ring the bell!
Do you know of any special train-themed dining? Tell us in the comments and we will add to the guide for all to enjoy!
Parks/Farms/Places with Trains
- Imagination Station – There is a play train in the little kid area
- Cushing Park – There is a wooden train with steering wheel
- Green Meadows – They have a brand new wooden train and train room! The train room has ride on trains, over 5 train tables, train toys of all kinds and more!
- Shady Lane Green House Menomonee Falls – The KFH Legacy Model Train resides in a separate greenhouse (the House of Blooms) and measures 4,800 square feet. train runs every Saturday and Sunday 10:00am till 3:00. It is always best to call before coming.
- Wales “Train” Park –Right off of the Glacier Drumlin trail in Wales is a wooden play train. Grab a coffee at Mama D’s and enjoy it while your kiddos play on the train. The train was just updated by Wales Family Dental!
- Oconomowoc Historical Society – The museum in Oconomowoc has a model train display also. On the night of trick or treat, the museum is open with free admission and lots of treats! Trains are running that night as well.
Know of other fun places with trains? Comment below and we will add to the list!
- Mid-Continent Railway Museum, North Freedom, WI
- Illinois Railway Museum – Union, IL
- East Troy Railroad Museum – East Troy & Mukwonago, WI
- National Raiload Museum – Green Bay, WI
- Riverside & Great Northern Railway – Wisconsin Dells, WI
- Colfax Railroad Museum – Colfax, WI
Lionel Railroad Club of Milwaukee
2721 South Calhoun Road
New Berlin, WI 53151
(entrance in back of building)
“One of the Oldest Railroad Clubs in
Milwaukee Light Engineering Society
We are a live steam club that has almost a mile of 7.5″ track on 6.5 acres.
Know of other local railroad clubs? Comment below and we will add to the list!
Train Hobby Shops
Hiawatha Hobbies Silvernail Shopping Center, 2026 Silvernail Rd. Pewaukee, WI 53072 262-544-4131
Sommerfeld’s Trains & Hobbies 12620 W. Hampton Ave. Butler, WI 53007 262-783-7797
South Side Trains 3979 S. Howell Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53207 414-482-1566
Walthers Showroom 5619 West Florist Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53218 414-461-1050
Madison Hobby Stop 6622 Mineral Point Road Madison, WI 53705 Phone 608-829-3820
Want your local railroad shop added to the list? Comment below and we will add it!
Hidden Gem Spots
- Nixon Park – Trains go through the area and you can see/hear them from the park
- Bridge in Butler, WI overlooking the train depot
- Frame Park Waukesha – you are bound to see/hear a train here if you play