This is a sponsored post.
If Wisconsin is the dairy state and frozen custard reigns supreme, then Waukesha County is in the epi-center of it all. In just about one county alone, we have access to SIXTEEN awesome, must-stop, local ice cream shops. Call us spoiled (or lucky!). We won’t complain. What’s great about the ice cream shops in this guide is that they all have that “home-town” vibe. Great service, amazing quality and part of the communities we love so much! Most are open year-round, which is great since the “Frozen Custard epi-center” lies in the frozen tundra. However, come summer what better tradition, than enjoying ice cream with family and friends.
Enjoy a scoop (or two) and let this guide point you to some great spots close to home. Just like our weather changes daily here in Wisconsin, so do the flavors – so keep on top of your favorites!
LeDuc’s Frozen Custard opened for business in 1980 and quickly became Waukesha’s favorite place to stop for Fresh Frozen Custard treats. The custard recipe that we offer today is the original recipe used when LeDuc’s opened!
Every day at LeDuc’s we produce three fresh custard flavors for you to enjoy: chocolate, vanilla and a flavor-of- the-day. Our flavor-of- the-day is selected from an ever-growing list of about 75 different flavors! In addition to our custard, we offer an extensive grill menu with burgers, sandwiches, soups, appetizers and much more
!LeDuc’s is located three miles south of 94 at the intersection of Highway 83 and 18. We offer indoor and outdoor seating, a great atmosphere, and wonderful place to spend time with friends and family. Come visit our family friendly store and enjoy delicious food and award winning Fresh Frozen Custard!
We are open year round!!!
Customer Testimonial: “LeDucs is simply a Lake Country staple. Anyone that comes from out of town to visit us, we are sure to include a trip to LeDucs in our plans (and they LOVE it)! It is out-of-this-world custard and offers the feel of a classic ice cream shop. LeDucs makes you slow down, enjoy the people around you and be thankful for the area we will in and love. And the custard is amazing!”
16 Must Stop Ice Cream Spots
- LeDucs in Wales
- 240 W. Summit Ave, Wales
- High quality frozen custard and dining since 1980 open year-round.
- CJ’s Coffee n’ Cream in Palmyra
- 209 Taft St, Palmyra
- A hidden, local gem – ice cream and coffee shop!
- Mullen’s Dairy Bar in Watertown
- 212 W Main St, Watertown
- Serving up handcrafted goodness since 1932.
- Kiltie in Oconmowoc
- N48W36154 E Wisconsin Ave, Oconomowoc
- Classic drive-in style/ cash or check only. Open seasonally only.
- Kopps in Brookfield
- 18880 W Bluemound Rd, Brookfield
- Welcome to Burger + Custard heaven! Founded by Elsa Kopp in 1950.
- Oscars Frozen Custard in Waukesha
- 21165 Hwy. 18, Waukesha
- Awesome frozen custard and great burgers too.
- Locations in Franklin and Milwaukee too.
- Gus’ Drive-in in East Troy
- 3131 Main St. East Troy
- Old-school burger and frozen custard joint.
- Wholly Cow Frozen Custard in Delafield
- 637 Main St, Delafield
- A truly authentic Wisconsin family-owned custard shop. Fresh frozen custard made each day.
- Delafield’s oldest and most loved custard shop
- Open seasonally from early May to the end of September
- There is both indoor & outdoor seating and a fun cow-themed décor.
- If you are lucky, Mr. Moo, the Wholly Cow mascot, may make an appearance!
- It is a friendly community gathering spot where families and friends meet to have fun.
- Whelans Coffee & Ice Cream in Oconomowoc
- 163 E. Wisconsin Ave, Oconomowoc
- Coffee + Ice Cream. Est 2006.
- Bubba’s in Pewaukee
- 1276 Capital Dr, Pewaukee
- Fresh, frozen custard in Pewaukee since 1998.
- Murf’s Frozen Custard in Waukesha and Brookfield
- 1345 S. West Ave, Waukesha
- 12505 W. Burleigh Rd, Brookfield
- The Burger Joint and Custard Stand. Local – Quality – Eats.
- Sweet Dreams in Hartland
- 540 Hartbrook Dr, Hartland
- Since 2009, Frozen Custard is made fresh every day with the special Sweet Dreams TLC.
- Pop’s in Menomonee Falls
- N87 W16459 Appleton, Menomonee Falls
- Ice Cream Shop in Menomonee Falls
- Robert’s in Germantown
- N112W16040 Mequon Rd, Germantown
- Fancy indoor space, great patio and a drive-through AND Just celebrated 15 years!!!
- Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee, Oconomowoc, Waukesha and Delafield (coming soon)
- 161 Wisconsin Ave, Pewaukee
- 2120 E Moreland Blvd, Waukesha
- 1077 Summit Avenue, Oconomowoc, WI
- COMING SOON: Delafield – Shoppes of Nagawaukee (south of golf road)
- Other locations in: Cedarburg, Elm Grove, Oak Creek, Shorewood, and West Bend
- Sensational Subs & Sundaes – open year-round
- J. Lauber’s Ice Cream in East Troy, WI
- 2010 Church St, East Troy (across from East Troy Railroad Museum)
- Open seasonally (May 5 this year)
- Authentic 1920s ice cream parlor with a huge candy counter, a 78 RPM jukebox and more!
Lake Country Family Fun recommends calling ahead for hours and availability. List above in no particular order.
Refer to our map below of the 16 locations noted:
Other Wisconsin Frozen Custard Historical Must-stops
- Gilles in Milwaukee – Milwaukee’s Oldest Custard Stand – Since 1938!
- Leon’s in Milwaukee – since 1942
- Culvers – Multiple Locations nation-wide, but founded in Wisconsin – over 120 locations in Wisconsin alone “Home of the Butter Burger”
- Never Been Licked in Door County – Fish Creek
- Michaels’ in Madison – since 1986
- Randall’s in Sheboygan – since 1985
Enjoy your tasty treats, Wisconsin! For more on the history of Frozen Custard in Wisconsin check out this great book.