Portions of this post are sponsored.
There’s not much left of 2016! And it’s Winter Break! Looking for things to do? Look no further! We’ve got you covered with this handy guide.
Note: These events are subject to change. Please check with the venues on availability and pricing before attending.
A big thank you to our sponsor for this guide:
Skyzone Trampoline Park – Waukesha
#1 Mention Lake Country Family Fun and you will receive $5 off any GLOW ZONE session over the holidays!
Skyzone is close to completing an addition to their park which will include a Ninja Warrior Course as well as a climbing wall and some other fun new games that incorporate our trampolines. These additions are coming soon.
30 things to do with Your Family over Christmas Break:
#2 Visit the Milwaukee County Zoo – It’s FREE for 5 days over Break!
- The 5 free days are December 26-30th to visit winter-loving animals, stroll through warm indoor exhibits and see new tiger cubs.
- Open 9:30 – 2:30
- $12 parking for non-members
#3 Give back and spark creativity at Cattywampus Design in Tosa – Dec 28 and Dec 30 – $15 each.
- 6123 W. North Ave Wauwatosa
- Join us for collaboration with the JOY HOUSE of Milwaukee as we make usable art pieces for women & children.
- December 28th – “Cups of Cheer”
- Work with local artist Megan Bye to create decorative cups fillwed with flavored hot cocoa mix and covered in messages and artwork designed to bring cheer to mothers in need. Kids enrolled in this class will also create a cup (or two) to take home.
- December 30th – “Collage Boxes”
- Create one-of-a kind boxes, using a variety of art materials, for children of Joy House to store their “something special”, wherever they might be staying. Kids enrolled will also be decorating a special box for themselves.
- Class size is limited- call the shop to register (414) 323-7266!!!!
#4 Sort through old toys to make room for the new ones.
- As you sort out which ones to keep, which ones are trash, and which ones to donate keep in mind local charities that take toys in good condition! (like this one)
#5 Ring in the New Year early on Friday Dec 30th at the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum!
- December 30, 9 a.m. – noon
- FREE with regular admission
- Kids can make a party hat, create something festive in the Be A Makerspace and be wide awake when they toast the new year (with juice) as they sing, dance and count-down to our annual New Year’s Eve at Noon ball drop.
#6 Check out our New Year’s Eve Family Fun Celebrations List for making plans on New Year’s Eve DAY – December 31.
#7 Get a babysitter and attend NYE Rock the Burbs Event.
- This event supports the MACC Fund!
- Live music includes: The Weeks, GGOOLDD, Alyce Hart, Jay Matthes and a guest DJ.
- Each ticket includes: two drinks, parking and a fabulous time!
- Location: Waukesha County Expo Center
- Doors open at 7:00pm. Event lasts till 1am.
- For More Information Click Here
#8 Fly a Kite and get free snacks and goodies at the Cool Fool Kite Festival on January 1st.
- The COOL FOOL KITE FESTIVAL will be on New Year’s Day, 2017 from 11:00 am until 5:00 pm in Veterans Park on Milwaukee’s Lakefront. This is a FREE event, with plenty of FREE parking. They will have FREE hot chocolate, coffee, and snacks, compliments of Gift of Wings, while they last. This is a “Fun Fly” so bring your kite or pick up a kite at Gift of Wings at the park.
#9 Go Hiking at Lapham Peak on Jan 1 and enjoy hot beverages and snacks afterwards.
- View Event details
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Lapham Peak Unit/ Ice Age National Scenic Trail (11:00 am – 2:00 pm on 1/1/17) – The Waukesha/Milwaukee County Chapter of the Ice Age Trail Alliance will be hosting a First Day Hike at Lapham Peak. Park fees will be waived for the day. Warm up with hot beverages and snacks at the Center afterwards. Hike 3-4 miles on the Ice Age Trail. Meet at the Hausman Nature Center parking lot. For more information call 262-646-3025.
#10 Go Sledding
- We are sure there will be plenty of snow still. So, check out LCFF’s local sledding guide. Let us know of any favorite places of yours we missed!
#11 Is it too cold out? Check out our Indoor Play Guide!
- There are many local places to play indoors. See them in our Indoor Play Guide.
#12 Clean out your pantry.
- Take some time to clear out your pantry. For any non-expired items, consider donating to a local food bank. See our food pantry guide.
#13 Spend the day splashing away at an indoor water park or pool.
- Country Springs Waterpark
- 2810 Golf Rd., Waukesha, (800) 247-6640
- Olympia Indoor Pool
- 1350 Royale Mile Rd, Oconomowoc, WI 53066 (262) 369-4999
- Key Lime Cove Waterpark
- 17oo Nations Dr., Gurnee, Ill., (877)-360-0403
- Breaker Bay Waterpark, inside the Blue Harbor Hotel in Sheboygan
- Blue Harbor, Sheboygan, (920) 452-2900
- Blue Harbor, Sheboygan, (920) 452-2900
#14 Check out a local home-team Sports Game.
- The Milwaukee Bucks play at home on January 2nd
- Milwaukee Wave have “Kick in the New Year” game on 12/31 at 3:05 at the UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena
- Hockey – Milwaukee Admirals play:
- 12/26 vs Chicago at 7pm (Pat McCurdy Performs before and after the game at the South Goal tap room / Packer OT Jason Spriggs will be at the game to greet fans and sign autographs)
- 12/28 vs Iowa at 7pm (First 5,000 fans will receive Admirals Winter hat / $2 beer and popcorn night)
#15 Show off your Skating Skills at an Ice Rink.
- You can find out where you can ice skate in Waukesha and Milwaukee Counties via our LCFF Wintertime Fun Guide! Skating is fun for all ages!
#16 See a $5 movie on Tuesday, December 27th.
- Delafield Marcus
- Brookfield Marcus
- Menomonee Falls Marcus
#17 Send your child to a 2 day ninja Camp at Midwest Twisters Hartland – $50 (Details here).
- Tuesday the 27th and Wednesday the 28th
- This 2 day camp is a great way to burn off some energy over the Holiday break! Join coaches Tommy, Kody and John as they lead the kids through all kinds of challenges designed to bring out your child’s inner warrior! Including the warped wall, spider climb, numerous strength challenges, trampolines and more!
- Each child will receive an MWT Ninja headband!
- Ages 5-8 Co Ed 10:00 – Noon
- Ages 9 – up Co Ed 12:30 – 2:30
#18 Bring Snow Inside!
- Grab a large plastic container (aka sensory tub) and scoop up a bunch of snow and bring it inside. Let the kids play with it with shovels, spoons, food dye, whatever for about 30 minutes of indoor fun.
#19 Attend the Glow Skate event on December 30th at the indoor Wilson Park Ice Arena.
- 4001 S 20th St, Milwaukee, WI 53221
- Doors open at 7pm, event from 7:30 – 9:30pm
- See the glow as you skate to music
- Admission of $5 includes glow in the dark necklace, skate rental and entry for door prizes
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult
#20 Spend New Year’s Eve at the Fireside Theatre – Mama Mia!
- For More Information
- Arrive at Noon/Dine at 12:30/Show at 2:30
- Arrive at 6:00/Dine at 6:30/Show at 8:30
- For those who like to make it to midnight, join for an evening at the Firesides Gala party afterward.
#21 Enroll your kids in Winter Camp.
- Do your kiddos miss summer camp and wish they had something exciting to do during winter break? We’ve got just the solution! Join us at Riveredge for our second annual Winter Camp!
- December 27 @ 9:00 am – December 29 @ 4:00 pm
- More details here
- Newburg, WI
#22 Cross-Country Ski at a fun Skiathlon at Lapham Peak.
Cross-country skiers are invited to participate in the Skiathlon from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 1, at Lapham Peak State Park, W329 N846 Highway C, Delafield. Ski anytime during park hours and record the number of laps on the man-made snow in the Evergreen Shelter at the park. Park entrance fees and ski trail passes are required.
#23 Rent Snowshoes at Retzer Nature Center.
Snowshoe rentals are available. $5.50 for half a day and $9 for a full day.
#24 See where kids eat free this week (GUIDE).
- Note: Be sure to check seasonal availability by calling before attending 😉
- Kids Eat Free Guide
#25 Donate Blood.
The Hartland library will host the American Red Cross Blood Drive from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 30. Call 1-800-RED-CROSS to set up an appointment. All presenting donors will receive snacks.
#26 View the Country Springs Christmas Lights Display.
You can still drive through to see the lights through December 31st, including Holidays.
#27 Get in Shape and Enjoy the Snow with SNOWYOGA Class.
- December 28th at 9:30am
- Full yoga class on snowshoes (rent or bring your own) at Lapham Peak put on by Clearwateroutdoors
- Preregistration is required, click on our rentals and lessons tab at the top of the home page, select Delafield.
- Meet at the store to pick up your snowshoes, head over to the state park meet in the Evergreen parking lot, just inside the entrance on hwy C in Delafield.
- State park pass required. Class will be cancelled if there isn’t snow.
#28 Make Your Own Playdough.
- All you need is flour, oil, salt, cream of tartar and water for this easy home-made playdough recipe that lasts for months. Add food coloring if you want to add color. Check out the recipe here.
#29 Visit the Milwaukee Park Domes, “Not a Creature Was Stirring” Holiday Floral Show.
- Mon through Fri.: 9 a.m.–5 p.m
- Sun., and Major Holidays: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- For More Information
#30 Check out FREE Events at our Local Libraries:
- Pewaukee Library –
- Intergenerational Coloring 10-2 on 12/28
- Learn to make Balloon Animals 10 – 11:30 on 12/29 (Grades 4+ and registration required)
- Waukesha Library –
- 10am 12/27, 12/28, 12/29 and 12/30 game day & Open minecraft play
- 4:30pm Family Coloring day on 12/27 and 12/18
- Mukwonago Library –
- 9:30 am Shake Rattle & Roll 12/27
- 2:00pm Family Film: the BFG 12/27
- 10am Family Film: Pets Dragon 12/28
- 10am Santa Bingo 12/29
- Watertown Library – 1:30 No School Movie – “The Secret Life of Pets”
- New Berlin Library – 10am to 3pm on 12/28 Clean Out Of Craft Closet Event
- Drop in anytime between 10-3 and see what you can create with the supplies we have sitting in the closet. No registration needed and all ages welcome.
- Brookfield Library –
- 12-4 Craft Day 12/27
- 7-8pm Lego Club 12/27
- 10am More Legos 12/28
- 1:30 MOVIE on 12/28
- 10:30am JumpBunch (games and exercises) for ages 3-6 on 12/29 (register in advance)
- 12/31 10:30-11:30am Winter Activity Day
- Butler Library –
- 10:30am Storytime “A New You” 12/28
- 6:30pm Bedtime Stories, “Begin Again” on 12/29
- Hartland Library – Noon Year’s Eve Party from 11am to noon all ages welcome on 12/31 to create crafts and watch your very own ball drop (no registration required)
- Menomonee Falls Library – Noon Year’s Eve Party (all ages) 11-Noon on 12/31. We’ll feature tons of dance music, crafts, and activities for children of all ages as we count down to noon together.
- Muskego Library –
- Toddler Time 9:30 and 10:30 on 12/27
- Music Makers 9:30 and 10:30 on 12/29
- North Lake Library – Minute to Win IT competitions 9-10 PM on 12/28