How often do you visit Milwaukee with kids? Do you head into the city often or mostly stay in our quaint suburbs enjoying the #lakelife? We have been venturing in to Milwaukee a bit more often recently and have been enjoying the short day trips, especially to the butterfly room at the Milwaukee Public Museum. If you are looking to explore the area around you, Milwaukee is not far away and is loaded with family fun. Here is Lake Country Family Fun‘s top picks for fun in and around Milwaukee!
Milwaukee With Kids
- Head to Discovery World, right on the lakefront in Milwaukee, and visit this hands on learning environment.
- We visited in spring 2017 and had a fun-filled day. Touching the stingray was the highlight of my little one’s day.
- Discovery World is best aimed for children at elementary school age.
- Lake Country Family Fun reader Heather S. suggests, “Consider purchasing a membership which has reciprocal admission to hundreds of museums around the country, including the Madison Children’s Museum, Building for Kids in Appleton, and most of the major museums in Chicago. This is hands down the best membership value we have found!”
- The Milwaukee Public Museum has their FREE admission days on the first Thursday of the month, this is a great way to visit the museum on a budget.
- The butterfly room is the best!
- My youngest loved the museum from ages 3 and up.
- We like to head down on the first Thursday of the month for Kohl’s free day, meeting up with some other mom friends and then heading home around lunch time. There is a cafeteria to purchase lunch or you can pack your own.
- We like to park in the Museum’s parking ramp to walk directly into the museum and not have to walk outside in the winter months/rainy days.
- Did you know the Milwaukee County Zoo is open year round?
- During the winter there are various FREE admission Saturdays at the zoo, and during the summer there is always a special exhibit.
- Plus, the Milwaukee County Zoo pass pays for itself in two visits!
- We love the big animals and don’t leave without a train ride!
- The zoo is great for kids of all ages, baby and up!
- Visit the Mitchell Park Domes and be transported to a tropical environment, or the desert in one location. They are definitely a tropical escape right here in Wisconsin!
View this post on Instagram
As the thunder rolls and we anticipate some snow ❄️ tonight- we’re reminiscing on what a beautiful and fun weekend we had at the Domes! We spent the day checking out the new railroad to Wonderland winter train show. The girls enjoyed reading the Alice in Wonderland chapters as we walked around. ❤️
- Grab dinner at Friday’s Front Row at Miller Park and dine year round looking over Miller Park.
- Plus, our kiddos love going to Brewers Games.
- If you head to a game on Kid’s Day, don’t forget to snag a free lunch and go down the slide.
- Miller Park is great for kids of all ages. There are lots of places to walk around for toddlers, plus slides and a playground outside of the stadium for bigger kids to play.
- Have you taken your kids to a summer festival?
- In summer 2017 and 2018, we took our kiddos to Irish Fest at the Henry W. Maier Festival Park (Summerfest grounds) and they had a blast!
View this post on Instagram
Win a free family 4-pack of tickets to Irish Fest!!! Our giveaway ends this Wednesday, August 1st! ? @milwaukeeirish is the world’s largest celebration of Celtic music and culture. The four-day festival showcases more than 100 entertainment acts on 17 stages at Henry W. Maier Festival Park on Milwaukee’s Lakefront. Mark your calendars for the 38th annual Milwaukee Irish Fest taking place on August 16th through 19th, 2018. ? Many thanks to Milwaukee Irish Fest presented by @celticmke, for sponsoring this giveaway to provide two lucky Lake Country Family Fun readers a free family 4-pack of tickets to Irish Fest this August. ? To enter and find out all the info for Milwaukee Irish Fest, hop over to www.lakecountryfamilyfun.com!
- The Milwaukee Art Museum has undergone renovations and is an iconic Milwaukee building.
- Stop by the Kohl’s Art Generation Studio to create art inspired by the artwork in the Museum. Each month features a different theme, and the projects are always changing!
View this post on Instagram
We are having a Milwaukee Day trying to squeeze in some extra fun before school starts! What’s your favorite place for family fun in Milwaukee? First stop for us is the @milwaukeeart museum. . . . . #lovelcff #milwaukee #mke #mkehome #milwaukeeartmuseum #howiseemke #lakecountryfamilyfun #wisconsin #midwest
- Visit Sprecher Brewery and go on a tour. Yes, this is family friendly!
- All adults 21 (proof of age required) and older get 4 samples of beer (chosen from up to 20 beers on tap) and a beer tasting glass to take home.
- Tour participants of all ages get to sample all of their available sodas to their heart’s content.
- Find the Bronze Fonz and take photo and feel like you are hanging out with Arthur Fonzarelli on Happy Days which was set in 1950’s Milwaukee.
- If you have little ones, the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum should be on your list to visit.
- Kids can spend hours with the interactive exhibits.
- To save money, head over on neighborhood nights for free admission.
- In the winter, you can find the Door County Sled Dogs at Whitnall Park when the weather is favorable. Always check their website to find the status of rides.
- Visit Slice of Ice at Red Arrow Park, try ice skating with the kids at this outdoor skating rink during the winter months.