Lake Country Family Fun Has the Things to do!
With Christmas over, we are the midst of a long winter until spring gets here. (And yay for a slightly white Christmas;) ) I would like to embrace the hygge effect, but the freezing temps and cloudy skies are hindering my inner lover of the cold 😉 Winter has definitely formed a tight grip on Southeastern Wisconsin, but we will not let that stop us from having fun even if it is freezing! We can still get out and have some winter fun with our families. In fact, there is so much to do this month, that I had a hard time choosing just 16 things to do in January!
Check out these fun winter events and things to do in and around Waukesha County and Lake Country to fight the winter blues, and if you are looking for more, see our popular LCFF events calendar for a full listing of events for the month.
Please thank our January Guide Sponsor:
1. Take a hike or cross country ski! Head to Dousman for the opportunity to get out and take a brisk winter hike or cross country ski on January 1st through the Kettle Moraine State Forest!
2. FREE Zoo Day is on January 1st this year, check out the Milwaukee County Zoo for free! Don’t be scared to check it out in the winter, there are plenty of buildings to keep you warm in the chilly winter of January!
3. Take the Kids Sledding, find local hills with this handy winter sledding guide. If it’s going to snow, we might as well have fun with it, right?!
4. Head to the Corners of Brookfield for Winter Fest on January 17-19! It will be an amazing day of ice skating!
6. Check out a planetarium show at the Retzer Nature Center in Waukesha. It’s a great way to encourage learning on the weekend, while staying warm from the cold. My kiddos enjoy the show so much and always ask to go back and see another one!
7. Watch your favorite classic Disney movies at Marcus Theaters and Movie Tavern through their Disney Enchanted Film Series. Aladdin is showing January 24-26, and the Lion King on January 31! It’s so fun to watch classics on the big screen (and in a dream lounger).
8. Head to the annual DELAFREEZE on January 11! If it has to be January, you best enjoy it and Downtown Delafield is the place to be! We had so much fun last year at their first annual event watching ice sculptures come to life and giving our hand at curling!
9. Go on a Candlelit Hike through the Kettle Moraine State Forest (Southern Unit) or a Candlelit Hike through Lapham Peak the following weekend. And just outside of Waukesha County is the Horicon Marsh Education and Visitor’s Center, which also hosts a Candlelight Hike on January 18.
11. The Waukesha Janboree has everything from Fireworks to Toboggan runs and everything in between. This is a fun winter community event for the whole family! Most of the events occur at Lowell Park, but you can find fun throughout Waukesha! Plus, it’s an extra long event this year to celebrate the 35th anniversary: January 17 – January 26!
12. Go to the Sledding Party in Sussex. This is a fan favorite event – just add snow!
13. Snow lovers, check out this event at Lapham Peak: OutWIGo Snow! It will be an afternoon of cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, fat tire biking, ice fishing and ice safety demos, s’mores and more!
15. Take the whole family to ChiliFest in Oconomowoc. Oconomowoc throws the best community events. If you haven’t checked one out yet, don’t miss Chilifest!
16. Visit Ice Castles Lake Geneva. This is a must experience event.