I have lived in Wisconsin my whole life. As a child February was all about Valentines and sledding. What do you think of when you think of February? Valentine’s Day and candy hearts? Snow and cold? Getting out of dodge and hopping on an airplane? At Lake Country Family Fun, we love living in Wisconsin, and we believe in family fun year-round!
Now as an adult and parent, when I think of February, I think of all of those things cold weather: snow, sledding, ice skating, and Valentines Day, too. Which can be so much fun; it’s all about your mindset.
In Wisconsin, there is lots of family friendly fun to be found, because winter is 8 months long. 🤪 Ha! It sure feels like it some days. Luckily, Lake Country Family Fun has looked for you, sifted through the information, and organized 20 fun things to do with your family in February!!
Check out these fun events below that take place in and around town this month to fight the winter blues. For even more fun don’t forget to check out Lake Country Family Fun’s huge event calendar and indoor play guide!
20 Family Fun Things to Do In February!
1 – Take a day trip (or virtual trip) to Milwaukee and save $$$ with these FREE events this February!
- Get outside and visit the Milwaukee County Zoo for FREE!!
- Winterfest Partner Event with the Milwaukee Art Museum
- Hosted by the Urban Ecology Center at Washington Park, Winterfest 2021 is a celebration of winter and outdoor play in our parks. Free event
- Virtual event at the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum
- Attend a virtual Glomado Workshop with the Betty Brinn Museum. Details here.
- Workshops range in price starting at $10.
- Visit the Domes! *Featured Listing (Not free, but still super fun!!)
- Trains Show at the domes.
- This year’s theme is “All Aboard Games” – how fun!
2 – Visit your local library and let it transform you! February is National Library Lovers month!
- Top 4 library event picks:
Lake Country Family Fun is about getting out and being active in the community through connection. Let's face it, most people HIBERNATE IN WINTER, but that can lead to feelings of isolation. If you are looking for mom friends to meet up with or little ones for your children to play with, check out our MOMS GROUP AND PLAY GUIDE sponsored by CROSSPOINT COMMUNITY CHURCH IN OCONOMOWOC, featuring over 30 different groups. Our guide is divided up between community groups, church affiliated groups, and library play groups. There is a group for everyone. And if you are feeling isolated, do not hesitate to reach out to us at Lake Country Family Fun!
4 – Check out a Winter Farmers Market.
- Milwaukee – Saturdays 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Oconomowoc – Saturdays 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Sussex – February 7 and 21 at 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Mukwonago – February 13 and 27 at 9:00 am to Noon
5 – Attend the Virtual Wildlife Meet and Greet at the Wildlife in Need Center
- Join the Wildlife in Need Center for their February wildlife meet & greet event from 10-4.
- The Wildlife In Need Center (WINC) is hosting a Virtual “Whooo Loves
Wildlife?!” a Valentine’s Day themed Meet & Greet.
Win an awesome Valentine themed Prize Package this year for you and your sweetie! Prizes include items from:
- Sweet P’s Pantry
- Ingleside Hotel
- Beth Boyke Photography
- Relationship Counseling "For Love of You" with Allison Orlovsky
-The Hive Taproom
-The Flower Garden
-The Corners of Brookfield
7 – See a movie for CHEAP!!
- Catch a Tuesday $5 movie at select Marcus Theatres and/or the Movie Tavern Brookfield!
8 – Have a date night out (or in) Friday, February 5th.
- Get details on the MobCraft Beer + Birch & Banyan Scone Pairing and Pop-up Bottle Shop & Taproom event.
9 – Enjoy a parents night out!
- Lake Country Family Fun released our 8 Romantic Winter Date Ideas Guide just in time for February and Valentine’s Day! Find 8 ideas, plus Valentine’s Day specific events, some are awesome and out-of-the box!
- Need a sitter? Check here.
- Thirst is hosting a FREE events to give parents a break on February 19th – limited spots!
10 – Tour (and fall in love with) a preschool
- There are quite a few preschool open houses this month if you are undecided where your little one will go next year.
- Read about 30+ preschools in 12 communities in LCFF’s Local Preschool Guide.
11 – Attend a Winter Themed Candlelight Hike in Pewaukee.
- Take a luminary hike this February 20-21 in Pewaukee at Dayspring.
- Registration info here.
13 – Have a Winter Family Fun Day – Toboggan Style!
- Try out the toboggan at Lowell Park in Waukesha.
- The Toboggan Run will be open on select days/times starting December 28, 2020. Closing date is February 27, 2021. Registration is required! More info here.
14 – Take your family to a Winter festival!
- Lisbon Winter Festival – February 6
- Elm Grove Winter Festival – February 6
- Lake Geneva Winterfest – February 3-7
15 – Be one with nature.
- Wild Winter Nights Candlelight Hike at Menomonee Park on February 19th
- Candlelight Hike at Thirst Church on Friday, February 5th
- Learn how to Cross Country Ski at Hawthorn Glen on February 6th. Classes consist of two 2-hour sessions. Most of the time will be spent on the snow. (Equipment may be rented. $5.00 per person includes both sessions. To be paid in person on the first day of class) Ages 6 & up
16 – Take a road Trip.
Find all the wonderful independently owned coffee shops in the greater Waukesha County area. This guide is sponsored by Mama D's Coffee with locations in Wales, downtown Waukesha, and Genesee Depot.
18 – Get a Valentine Strawberry or Cocoal Cream Puff from State Fair!
- Preorder by February 7th for a deal. Details here.
19 – Find 2 places you can take a Sleigh Ride!
- Take a sleigh ride at Apple Holler in Sturtevant.
- Call 262-884-7100 to make your reservation or order your horse-drawn sleigh ride gift certificates today.
- Reservations Required.
- $100 (plus tax) for the first 4 people
- $20 (plus tax) for each additional person
- Take a sleigh ride at Hoofs Beat Express in Oconomowoc
- Come for the 40 minute ride and stay for the hot chocolate and cookies while enjoying the small carriage collection in our warmed barn.
- Sleigh rides on our 115 acre farm.
- Our largest sleigh carries 12 passengers with a minimum booking of 6 riders.
- Call (262) 853-9801
20 – Try out a new to your family indoor play place.
- Lake Country Family Fun’s indoor play guide, features SO MANY local fun places to play inside. Try a new venue out this month!
- Many thanks to Lake Breeze Realty for sponsoring this guide in 2021!
- Indoor Fun at the Mullet Ice Center (see flyer below):
We hope we inspired you to have some
February Fun with your family!
What are you most looking forward
to this February?