Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Lake Country? Do you travel for the holiday? Do you spend the day with family or friends? Friendsgiving, anyone? Do you spend the turkey day giving back to those in need? This year is going to look much different than it has in past years. Many families may be having virtual get-togethers or smaller get-togethers in lieu of a big event. And despite all that 2020 has been and still is, there are so many ways to celebrate a reason to give back and be thankful for what we have and with whom we surround ourselves. Plus, new traditions are always welcome!
If you celebrate Thanksgiving locally to Waukesha County, enjoy the round up we found to take a bit of stress out of your holiday.
*Note that if you are celebrating virtually and using the ZOOM platform, they will be lifting their 40-minute limit on free calls globally from 12:00 a.m. November 26 through 6:00 a.m. November 27. More time to engage with faces of your loved ones!
Pre-order your Thanksgiving Meal from this menu and leave the cooking to Slo’ Motion BBQ! Tap or click the menu to enlarge.
Preparing your Family for Thanksgiving
If you are not going to be celebrating as in year’s past, talk about the changes in an open conversation so your children are prepared for a different type of celebration this year.
3 Thanksgiving activities to teach your children gratitude from Jann at Speechworks.
11 + 1 reader recommended place/idea/event to give back with your kids in our HOLIDAY VOLUNTEER GUIDE
Learning about the history of Thanksgiving with these children’s books.
Where to find a Turkey/Thanksgiving Meal/Pie
- Stone Bank Farm Market
- Order a local, loved, organically fed and free to roam turkey HERE.
- Rolls and pies also available for purchase
- Good Harvest Market Waukesha
- Local grocery store delivery and curbside pickup options HERE
- Slo’ Motion BBQ
- Order via email or by calling 262-822-1402
- View menu HERE.
- Sendiks – with 5 locations in Waukesha County
- Golden Mast Okauchee
- Foolery’s Okauchee
- For $20 per person (plus gratuity), receive a pre-order for pick up/carry out on Thanksgiving, Thursday November 26th from 11am-4pm.
- Hand Sliced TurkeyReal Mashed Potaoes with Creamy Turkey GravySage Stuffing(not from a box)Honey and Brown Sugar Sweet PotatoesOld School Green Bean CasseroleHoney Butter CornbreadPumpkin Pie Bars
- Call to prepay and reserve your pickup time 262-567-1940
- I.d. Delafield
- Offering grab n go Thanksgiving sides
- “You cook the bird. We’ve got your sides.” for $85
- See the menu HERE.
- Call 262-646-1620 to order
- Boondocks BBQ and Brew Stone Bank
- Smoked turkeys – order ahead, pick up Thanksgiving Day
- Pick your turkey up right off the smoker Thanksgiving Day, minutes before your guests arrive!
- Quantities limited.
- Call 262-470-5123 to place your order.
- Details HERE
- Thunder Bay Grille Pewaukee
- Feast for 4 available for pick up
- Menu HERE
- Chef in Da House Lake Country
- Offering sides and pies for pick up HERE
- Saz’s Hospitality Group Lake Country
- Thanksgiving meal for 4 or 8 available for pick up at 201 W WalkerStreet
- All items fully cooked and packed cold in disposable containers withreheating instructions
- Al a cate items available
- See full menu and order HERE
- Seven Seas Hartland
- Curbside carryout meal available HERE
- Zilli’s Catering Waukesha
- Order your traditional and non-traditional Thanksgiving meal items
- Contactless curbside pickup at the Grandview Blvd, Waukesha location
- View full menu HERE.
- Goddess and the Baker Brookfield
- Bravo! Italian Kitchen Brookfield
- Pre order your traditional Thanksgiving Meal hot or cold HERE
- Cafe Manna Brookfield
- Carry out Thanksgiving meal menu HERE
- Vegan and Gluten Free options available
- Call 262-790-2340 to place your order
- Cooper’s Hawk Brookfield
- Meal serves 6
- Members receive 10% off your Thanksgiving meal order.
- Menu HERE
- Call to order 262-785-9463
- Flemming’s Steakhouse Brookfield
- 3 course turkey dinner
- Filet mignon and bone in prime rib also available
- Party portions serving 12 available
- Call 262-782-9463 to place your order
- Mitchell’s Fish Market Brookfield
- Small turkey dinner serves 4-6 people
- Large turkey dinner serves 10-12 people
- View menu HERE
- Call (262) 789-2426 to place your order
- Odd Duck Milwaukee
- Carry out traditional and non-traditional sides and desserts
- Servings for 4
- Vegan and Gluten Free options available
- Order HERE
- Whole Foods Market Wauwatosa and Milwaukee
- Full meals serving 4, 8 or 12 people
- Ham, full turkey (serves 4, 8 or 12), full organic turkey meal (serves 4, 8 or 12), turkey breast or prime rib and sides
- Paleo friendly turkey dinner for 4 available
- Vegan Meal for 2
- Order HERE
- Boston Market Glendale or West Allis
- Order complete chilled meals to heat and serve. Al a cate options available.
- Meal home delivery anywhere in the US! (Meal is frozen, allow for thawtime.)
- Order HERE
- Cracker Barrel Germantown or Janesville
- Pre order your heat and serve meal HERE.
- Tall Guy and a Grill Milwaukee
- Sliced turkey breast, smoked sliced turkey breast or smoked Wiscomaple ginger glazed ham.
- Al a carte options available
- Menu HERE.
- Sentry Delafield
- Baker Meister in Okauchee
- View and order desserts HERE
Overindulge at Thanksgiving?
If you overindulged in a Thanksgiving meal or dessert, step 1 is:
Don’t feel guilty. Grant yourself Grace.
- Did you have a great day with your family or friends (virtually or in person)?
- Did you laugh a lot?
- Did you spend time reflecting on your blessings?
- Did you practice gratitude?
- Did you give back to the community?
- Did you spend time reading with your kids about the history of the first Thanksgiving?
- Did you have a “shop small’ meal, supporting the small businesses in our communities?
If you answered YES to any one of those questions, YAY!! Thank you!!
Focus on the good parts of your day. ❤️
Now, if you did overindulge, and there’s an actionable step you would like to take, then tap these next toggles. BUT ONLY AFTER you are guilt-free and have granted yourself grace. ❤️
Get outside and breathe in the fresh air. Being outside and in nature is one of the best antidotes to feeling any negative feeling. The wind, the landscape, all reminders of a bigger picture and community in which we are a part.
- Skim our Ultimate Guide to a Lake Country Fall for 10 ideas for enjoying the outdoors with your family.
- Find FREE entry into the Waukesha County Parks System during their THANKFUL FOR PARKS WEEKEND
- November 27 through November 29, 2020
- Sunrise through 10:00 pm.
- The Kelly Johnson Foundation is hosting its third annual Turkey Trot 5K on Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. at Fox Brook Park, 2925 N Barker Rd in Brookfield.
- This year, the Kelly Johnson Foundation have a safe race plan in place to ensure the health and safety of all participants and volunteers while offering the one of best Turkey Trots in the state!
- This event is family friendly and social distance/COVID safe race plan in place!
- Sign up to volunteer HERE.
- Volunteer times range from 6:30am to 10am
- Try out one of these 3 local trails
- Bugline Trail
- Glacial Drumlin State Trail
- Kettle Moraine State Forest – Lapham Peak Unit
- Take your toddler out on a Black Friday Tyke Hike
- Walk around the Christmas in Okauchee
- Okauchee Lions Park
- November 27 through November 29, 202
What to watch on TV on Thanksgiving
If your family has a tradition of watching television on Thanksgiving, make note of these highlights:
- The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade will be on NBC.
- Thursday, November 26, 2020
- 9:00 am to noon in all time zones
- If football is your jam, find these games:
- Houston Texans v. Detroit Lions at 11:30 am on FOX
- Washington Football Team v. Dallas Cowboys at 3:30 pm on CBS
- Baltimore Ravens v. Pittsburgh Steelers at 7:20 pm on NBC
- Holiday movies will be on, too! Check our guide here.
What's Open and Closed on THanksgiving
- Kwik Trip Convenience stores
- The Post Office
- City Hall/local municipality and government offices
- Local libraries
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Best Buy
- JC Penney
- Sam’s Club
- Brookfield Square Mall
- The Corners of Brookfield
- Sendik’s and Silverspot Movie theater will be open with select holiday hours
- The Delafield Brewhaus