The holidays can get a bad reputation for being full of consumerism. “Buy This! Right Now! You NEED this!” But it’s the joy of giving that really stands out to me. When I asked on our Facebook page , what your favorite part of the season is, one of the most popular answers was giving and seeing their children’s faces. I could not agree more! 💓
As a small business ourselves, Lake Country Family Fun loves to support other small businesses in our community. The businesses that are located in our community’s downtown areas or operated online, are the first places I like to look for unique, special, and meaningful gifts for the people in my life. Small Business Saturday is November 30, 2019, this year and there are so many ways to take part and save some money while supporting our community. (And did you know it’s the 10th anniversary of Small Business Saturday? #nowyouknow)
Lake Country Family Fun is not shy about our love for this area we call home and our love for shopping small – I mean, we publish our Shop Small Guide every year and love giving away gift cards to our readers throughout the year to the various shops listed in it.
The downtown areas of Oconomowoc, Delafield, Hartland, Pewaukee, Waukesha, Eagle, Muskego, and Mukwonago among others are our favorite places to peruse and find hidden gems. We’ve done a little bit of research so you can get the most out of shopping small on Small Business Saturday this 2019 holiday season.
Where to Shop Small on Shop Small Saturday
- Downtown Oconomowoc encourages you to take a stroll down Wisconsin Ave and Main Street this Saturday (along with stopping in to the German Christmas Market) to support your local “O-conomy”.
- Pop into the Purple Giraffe and Snips and Giggles for unique gifts for the little ones in your life and Sweet P’s Pantry for the yummiest toffee I’ve ever had.
- Across the street, Fray has great gifts from fashion to jewelry and footwear, as well as Homebody and Mission Road Boutique.
- If you are an outdoorsy family like ours, Sherper’s has all you need! (They also have locations in Hales Corners and Port Washington.)
- Books and Company is our favorite stop for books and unique gifts for Christmas. You can even call them, tell them what you want and they will gift wrap it for you for FREE for you to pick up!
- The Brown Street Emporium is a great place to shop to support local artisans. So many unique finds from so many local crafters. For their Shop Small Saturday sale (say that 3 times fast), they will be giving away a free tote bag with purchase, while supplies last.
- Pop into Birch and Banyan and stroll the downtown for deals. They will be offering 10% off merchandise with the purchase of a City Tin + they have new winter and holiday drinks + winter bakery.
- 10 businesses are participating in shop small Saturday and encourage you to think outside the box this holiday gift-giving season.
- Pop into Lake Effect Co. and Ryloo Boutique right along the lakefront.
- Have you been into Vintage Barn Chicks on the Lynndale Farms Property? You must – plus, grab a treat on your way out from Molly’s Gluten-Free Bakery!
- Head to Jingle on Janesville and enjoy the holiday festivities while shopping small.
- Be sure to pop into the Gingerbread House for yummy food and baked goods and a gift shop.
- Looking for a special sweet treat? Pop into E and S Sweets.
- 1863 Coffee Saloon, it’s like “Cheers” but with coffee. Super friendly service! Go there once and the next time you visit ” Everyone will know your name.”
- Blooms in Bloom Florist – with locations in Eagle, Mukwonago, and East Troy, consider giving a floral arrangement for Christmas this year or to decorate your own home.
- Menomonee Falls
- Attend their Christmas Market and shop all the downtown stores and specialty merchants.
- Looking for a sweet treat?
- I have personally tried about 5 or so of the yummy flavors offered at Woops! Macaron, which is located inside Brookfield Square Mall.
- Box of 12 macarons is only $25 (usually $28). 2 days only – 11/30 and 12/1!
- Online – nothing beats supporting a local WI mommy in your jammies 🙂
- A Happy Thought Indeed
- Etsy shop sale from November 25 through December 3rd.
- In addition to free shipping on orders of $35+, all orders over $40 will receive 20% off!
- Agape Art Creations
- Special offer for Lake Country Family Fun readers: 15% off 11″x14″ or larger painting through 12/31/19.
- Order an 8″x10″ (or larger) portrait and receive a 5″x5″ at 50% off (regular price $50 – $25 savings)! Valid for orders placed November 30, 2019 only.
- Cloud Nine Soap Company
- Or you can find locally at Fray Boutique and more!
- Located out of Oconomowoc, place your order online for a sweet treat!
- Discovery World will be hosting a Milwaukee Maker’s Market, featuring one of our favorite online/Pewaukee shops, Lake Effect Co.