Do you know what Juneteenth Day is? The significance? Juneteenth Day is always June 19th and is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of African American slaves. Make it part of your summer this June. There are events around the nation to celebrate and below you can find Juneteenth Day Events in and around Milwaukee.
Juneteenth Day Events In and Around Milwaukee
Many thanks to our contributor Ashley for rounding up these events for us!
- #Iamjuneteenth is the theme for the 53rd Juneteenth Day Celebration in Milwaukee. Save the date for Monday, June 19!
- Milwaukee is home to one of the longest running Juneteenth Day celebrations in the country.
- The parade will be televised live on TMJ4 from 9 AM to 11 AM, and the historic parade route steps off at 14th & Atkinson Ave. and ends at Dr. MLK Jr. Drive & Locust St.
- Juneteenth Jubilee parade 9-11 with 100+ participants
- At Martin Luther King Elementary Playground, find a Kid Zone which will have free rides, carnival games, prizes, pony rides, DJ L Boogie, and food for kids under 12!
- At Clinton Rose Park, find contests: hula hoop and double dutch, dunk and three point shooting and three on three basketball games.
- Story time and arts and crafts at ABHM -America’s Black Holocaust Museum – for children and families throughout the week of Juneteenth with bookseller and library partners.
- Rooted MKE and Niche Book Bar at ABHM, June 19th, 10 AM to 5 PM
- Milwaukee Public Library at ABHM, June 21st, 10 AM to 12 PM
- These partners will be reading “Juneteenth: A Children’s Story” by Opal Lee, the Grandmother of Juneteenth, and other Juneteenth related titles. They will also have arts and crafts activities led by ABHM staff and volunteers.
Juneteenth at WCTC
- Virtual event at Waukesha County Technical College
- Celebrating Juneteenth with an award winning educator Jesse Hagopian.
- More information HERE
For more reading and learning about Juneteenth Day, Ashley found this article: 12 things you might not know about Juneteenth