- This event has passed.
January 28 @ 6:00 pm - 8:45 pm
Join in for a candlelit Hike or cross country ski with the Friends of Lapham Peak on Saturday, January 28. Stop by the Park Office for a free ticket voucher and bring a friend! Candles will be available to light the way after dusk or come early and enjoy the park’s natural beauty at sunset. A special thanks to the Friends of Lapham Peak for providing this event.
The Park Office should be open from 9am until about 3:30pm. Call first to ensure the office is open. 262-646-3025.
You will need the free voucher to get your vehicle into the park during an assigned time slot to help the organizers manage the traffic. One voucher per vehicle. A park sticker is still needed to park at Lapham Peak.
Come ski, hike or snowshoe. A 2023 WI State Park annual vehicle admission sticker or a $5.00 Special Event vehicle admission fee is required per car. In addition to the vehicle admission fee, a free ticket voucher is required for each vehicle so that participants in that vehicle may attend the event. Vouchers are available first-come, first-served. Limit one per person at time of pickup. Vouchers may be picked up at the Lapham Peak office starting January 1 and prior to 4 pm on Friday, January 27, 2023 in order to ensure access to the event. Office hours are generally open from 8:00 am-4:00 pm. Please call ahead at 262-646-3025 to ensure vouchers are still available. Carpooling is encouraged.
Ticket vouchers will specify the admission time and need to be presented at the gate for access. Entrants should arrive during the time frame specified. Ticket voucher time frames:
- 6 to 7 pm., Max 250 cars with reservation
- 7 to 8 pm., Max 200 cars with reservation
- 8 to 8:30 pm., Max 150 cars with reservation
- Warm yourself by the bonfire
- Bring your own food and grill outside
- Hot beverages available with donation and will be handed out through the window of Trecker Lodge. Lodge will NOT be open to the public
Sponsored by WI DNR and Friends of Lapham Peak
- Are dogs allowed?
- They must be leashed.
- What is the trail length?
- Approximately 1.5 miles
- Are there refreshments?
- Yes, at Trecker Lodge for a donation
- Is there a fire/bonfire?
- Yes, and a grill is available.
- What are the vouchers for?
- To enter into the event at a specified time listed on the voucher
- Are vouchers required per person or by vehicle?
- Per vehicle
- Is there a cost to the vouchers?
- How can I volunteer at the event?
- Contact Rita at 262-547-4827
- Can you park outside the park?
- Any parking outside the park will result in parking tickets and possible towing at owner’s expense.
- Is there an admission cost?
- $5 for the night (special event rate) or have a 2023 State Park Sticker
- How do I know how many vouchers are left?
- Call the park office @ (262) 646-3025
- Can I pull my kid on in sled
- Yes, as long as the trail is snow-covered.
- Are kids under a certain age free?
- There is no charge for anyone, just for parking
- Is this is a kid friendly event?
- Is this hike wheelchair/stroller accessible?
- The trail usually follows our asphalt accessible trail, with is wheelchair/stroller accessible, and we try to keep it ice free unless the weather does not cooperate
- Can we ski the candlelight hike? Or will it just be for hikers like the past few years? If we can ski it, will I need a trail pass for the event?
- If we have natural snow in the woods, you may ski there without a trail pass. If you ski on the lighted man make snow trails, a trail pass will be needed
- Can we snowshoe the hike?
- If we have natural snow in the woods, you may snowshoe without a trail pass. You may not snowshoe on the lighted manmade snow ski trails.
- If we can ski or snowshoe, will there be rentals available?
- There usually is on the weekends, but call ahead to be sure (see also our rental vendor: https://laphampeakfriends.org/skirentals/)
- If I come at the wrong time, can I still get in with my voucher?
- This will be at the discretion of the DNR at the gate based on how busy the night is at that time
- Will there be a bonfire? Can we cook food there as part of the event? Will grills be available?
- Yes, Yes, and Yes – but bring your own food to cook.
- Will there be concessions for food?
- Could this be canceled due to bad weather, and if so, how can I keep updated on the status of the event?
- Watch the Friends web site or call the park office @ (262) 646-3025
- How long should I anticipate the hike taking? How long/far is the hike?
- About 1.5 miles, plan about 1 hour or so
- Will the path be plowed and salted, or might it be snow and ice?
- We usually have it plowed and salted though if there is enough natural snow, we try to have a separate path for people who want to hike in the snow
Our Tour of the Menomonee Falls Library HERE
Our Tour of Menomonee Falls County Park HERE
Learn about all the Waukesha County Parks HERE