- This event has passed.
City of Waukesha Starry Night: Lights Out – Parks Dark
December 21, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The City of Waukesha will shut off park lights in the seven sites listed below for one hour. Area houses and businesses are encouraged to do the same to make it a community Starry Night with the lights all out. Great Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction (rare event – last conjunction 2000) and the Winter Solstice, too!
Date: Monday, December 21 (Tuesday, December 22 cloudy night makeup date)
Star Gazing Sites:
- Lowell 2201 W. Michigan Ave.)
- Saratoga Athletic Complex (301 S. Prairie Ave.)
- Rivers Crossing (3703 Rivers Crossing Dr.)
- Banting Park (2101 Butler Dr.)
- Meadowview Park (Northview & Meadowbrook Rd.)
- Merrill Crest (616 S. University Dr.)
- Retzer Nature Center (S14W28167 Madison St.)
Star gazing time will be from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
City of Waukesha Starry Night will reduce white light within the sky at the 7 sites listed above allowing residents the opportunity to stargaze, connect and celebrate the stillness, appreciation and unique beauty of the night sky.
IN ADDITION TO ENJOYING THE NIGHT SKY, RESIDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO:
· Gently Illuminate their home to create a dreamy atmosphere
· Dress in glitter and sparkles
· Create three-dimensional star ornaments at: waukesha-wi.gov/1511/Virtual-Recreation-Center (Available 12/1)
· Mix Starry Night cocktails (recipes on WPRF virtual recreation center)
· Make star shaped cookies
· Mark what they see on a star map on next page, 20 of the City of Waukesha Fall Activity Guide
· Watch astronomy educational video provided by School District of Waukesha at: waukesha-wi.gov/1511/Virtual-Recreation-Center (Available 12/1)
· Sketch night sky tutorial at: waukesha-wi.gov/1511/Virtual-Recreation-Center (Available 12/1)
· Create a cozy outdoor place for viewing